GW extends Caputo, McCombs coaching contracts

Men’s and women’s basketball are both 1-0 in their respective seasons.
File Photo By Grace Hromin | Senior Photo Editor

Men’s basketball Head Coach Chris Caputo and women’s basketball Head Coach Caroline McCombs have agreed to extend their respective contracts with the University, officials announced in a release Thursday.

The terms of the deals were not released as per University policy, the release states. The inked deals will likely extend the head coaching runs of Caputo and McCombs, who are serving their second and third years, respectively, leading GW’s basketball programs. 

Officials hired Caputo in 2022 following his time at the University of Miami as the men’s basketball assistant coach from 2011 to 2015 and their associate head coach from 2015 to 2022. In his first season in the District, the team finished with a 16-16 record, including a 10-7 record against A-10 opponents, ending seventh in the A-10 despite preseason polls predicting a 12th-place finish. 

Caputo has worked on strengthening the team’s ties to GW, encouraging student attendance at games and having the team meet with GW workers.

“Student body is a huge part of our program, and it’s an extension of our program,” Caputo said last week. “And it’s tremendously important to have support here.”

McCombs joined GW after working as the head coach at Stony Brook University women’s basketball from 2017 to 2021. Prior to her time coaching the Seawolves, she served as an assistant coach at Auburn University from 2012 to 2014 and at Northwestern University from 2010 to 2012. During her first season with the Revolutionaries in 2021, the team finished 12th in the A-10 (13-18). Last season, McCombs led the team to a much-improved seventh-place finish in the conference (18-13).

Pittsburgh Sports Now reported in March that McCombs interviewed for the University of Pittsburgh’s head coaching position, where she served as an assistant coach from 2005-2010.  

“I’m really enjoying this team,” McCombs said last month. “It’s always about our relationships and the things that we do off the court that can translate to on the court.”