Women’s basketball picks up Northwestern transfer Mott

Rachel Kurlandsky | Staff Photographer
George Mason Guard Ta’Viyanna Habib shoots over GW Forward Maxine Engel while the team watches from the bench.

Women’s basketball acquired Northwestern senior Paige Mott, according to a post on Mott’s Instagram on Tuesday. 

The former Wildcats’ forward spent four seasons at Northwestern and averaged 8.0 points per game this season, paired with 4.9 rebounds and 1.8 assists in 26.1 minutes per game. Mott will aid the Revolutionaries’ offense and her transfer marks the seventh addition to Head Coach Caroline McCombs’ roster this offseason.

McCombs has already added incoming freshmen Gabby Reynolds, Morgan Matthews and Kyraha Parnell, as well as transfer additions New Mexico Junior College sophomore Filipa Calisto, South Georgia Technical College sophomore Maéva Fotsa and Lafayette College senior Makayla Andrews. 

Northwestern finished Big 10 play at 4-14, ranking 13th in the conference, and finished 9-21 overall on the campaign. Mott was also a freshman on the team when the Wildcats won Northwestern’s first NCAA tournament game in almost three decades.

The Philadelphia native started in 27 of the Wildcats’ 30 games this past season. Mott recorded a double-double in three games this past season, the most recent in the Wildcats’ victory over Wisconsin in February when she scored 14 points and 10 rebounds. Mott recorded her best offensive game in her career against the Badgers in January of 2023, scoring 23 points in Northwestern’s nail-biting 70-67 victory.

In high school, Mott tallied 332 points her sophomore year at Abington Friends, averaging 11 points per game and 10 rebounds per game.

Mott’s mother, Andrea Garner, played collegiate basketball at Penn State as well as one season in the WNBA for the Seattle Storm. Terquin Mott, her father, played at Coppin State and played for multiple teams including the Camden Power and the Fayetteville Patriots in the now defunct United States Basketball League.