Williams takes the helm as new women’s soccer head coach

Jordyn Bailer
GW’s announcement of Jeremy Williams’ hiring as head coach

According to Jeremy Williams, a team should be two things: “organized” and “exciting.” Williams plans to instill these two tenets as the new head coach of the women’s soccer team.

Williams travels north from University of Miami where he was an assistant coach to take on leading his first program at GW. He returns to GW after a short stint as an assistant coach from 2015 to 2017. 

Athletic Director Tonya Vogel announced the hiring of Williams on Dec. 22, 2023. The leadership turnover came after the team went 1-8-1 in the Atlantic 10 conference and 4-11-3 overall under previous Head Coach Michelle Demko last season. Williams brought back Assistant Coaches Alan Fread and Kayley Sullivan, who both have ties to the GW program. Fread was a volunteer assistant in 2016 and an assistant coach in 2017. Sullivan played four years at GW, graduating in 2012. The trio followed former GW Head Coach Sarah Barnes to the University of Miami in 2018 when she led the Hurricanes program. They stuck together once Williams took over back in Foggy Bottom.

“It’s been fun, I think is the is the first word I would use,” Williams said on his return to coaching at GW thus far. “You know, I think it’s obviously different players. But I think the types of student-athletes the University attracts, the type of students, the type of people that we have, they’re driven, they’re high achievers, they want to do, they want to get better.”

During his previous stint with the Revs, the team sported a 37-17-7 record. In his first season at GW, the women’s soccer program earned their first Atlantic 10 regular-season title in 20 years and first-ever undefeated season in the Atlantic 10. Williams helped the team to a school record in 2015 with 14 consecutive victories. But he understands that things have changed since he was last on the Mount Vernon sidelines.

“We’re starting to kind of forge out the path forward of what makes sense for this group and where we’re at,” Williams said. “Because as we did have success that was, you know, seven, eight years ago, so some things may have changed or shifted a little bit. So, you know, we want to make sure we’re getting everything right, rather than just going in with a plan that worked two years ago.”

GW has not secured a regular season A-10 Championship since 2015 when Williams was last on staff. The team went to the finals of the A-10 tournament in 2019 but lost 3-1 to St. Louis. 

Before his first run at GW, Williams gained experience through a three-season campaign at Florida State University as a volunteer assistant. The team won their first national championship in 2014 while Williams was on staff. While Williams was with the Seminoles, FSU went 66-7-4, winning more than 20 matches each season and playing for the national title twice. 

Williams served under former Head Coach Mark Krikorian during his time at FSU, a mentor he still looks to regularly for advice. Krikorian is now the president of soccer operations and general manager for the Washington Spirit, D.C.’s professional women’s soccer club.

Williams said his move back to the District has brought the pair closer together. 

Its been funny, him being back in D.C. now, Williams said. You know, now being around him a little bit more. And with the Washington Spirit, its been fun because now its a little bit easier to chat with him.

The first thing Williams told the team when he met with them in person for the first time in January was that they were going to build an identity for themselves on and off the field. Williams has stressed creating a clear, positive vision not only for how the team plays but for how they treat facilities and how they carry themselves around campus.

“Any person thats ever been around us or ever seen, whether thats playing, interacted with us, they should be able to walk away from their first encounter or, you know, after a few encounters and say, ‘GW womens soccer is blank’. They should see it, they should know it.” Williams said. 

While a respectable character is important to the team, Williams understands that producing admirable players is bigger than just GWs program.

Professionalism, attention to detail, how you prepare, the thoughtfulness in your approach, teamwork, working with one another, all of those things, Williams said. Whether theyre going off to play with another team, to professional ranks, or theyre going off into the business world, or whatever it is, from that standpoint those are all going to translate.

Williamshistory of helping successful teams win brings promise to the GW program ahead of their fall season. As the new season approaches, the spotlight is shining squarely on Williams and his ensemble.