Baseball loses to Georgetown 13-5 in DMV showdown

Arwen Clemans
Sophomore Max Haug launches a pitch in a game against Coppin State.

Baseball (23-17, 6-6 A-10) fell to Georgetown (27-13, 8-4 A-10) Tuesday night in a 13-5 loss, unable to climb out of an early 12-run hole.

Georgetown came out swinging in the District showdown, registering five runs in the second inning and adding seven more in the third to quickly surge to a 12-0 advantage in the first three innings. Notably, the Hoyas only notched one more hit than the Revs, 10 compared to nine, but two walks and a GW error bringing in two runs helped to give Georgetown the win.

The Revs pulled starting pitcher, sophomore Max Haug, with two outs in the second inning after he gave up five earned runs, five balls and two hits. Despite the uphill battle, the Revs got onto the scoreboard in the sixth inning when freshman infielder Nick Mullen’s bases-loaded, two-out walk brought in one run.

GW was unable to rally, however, as junior outfielder Sam Gates grounded out to end the half inning down 12-1. Georgetown swiftly responded, extending their lead further in the bottom of the sixth with a solo home run from senior shortstop Michael Eze.

Faced with a 12-run deficit in the top of the seventh, junior catcher Tim Nicholson smashed his second home run of the season with a three-run shot, closing the gap to 13-4. Nicholson’s homer brought freshman catcher first baseman Robbie Lavey and redshirt senior infielder Brett Young across the plate.

Graduate student outfielder Ellis Schwartz added to the momentum with his fourth homer of the season, bringing in a solo run. The late offensive spark proved too litte, too late for the Revs, who were unable to add to the scoring column in the final two innings.

The ninth inning brought a notable silver lining for the Revs as graduate student utility Steve DiTomaso notched his third hit, finishing three out of five on the night. This put DiTomaso at 274 career hits, claiming his spot in fourth place on GW’s all-time hits leaderboard and surpassing Tom Shanley’s 2006 record of 273 hits. Tom Zebroski’s 2010 record is first with 299 hits. 

The Revs used four different relievers after Haug, with junior pitcher Tyler Blankenship and sophomore pitcher Reese Crochet holding Georgetown without an earned run in their time on the field. Blankenship tossed 1.2 innings for GW and tallied three strikeouts, while Crochet pitched two innings with three K’s.

The Revs look to bounce back as they gear up for a three-game series against Saint Louis at Tucker Field starting this Friday. The A-10 weekend slate is set to kick off at 3 p.m. on ESPN+.