Cloutier earns A-10 second team honors

Samie Cloutier, women's soccer, defender
Junior Samie Cloutier prepares for a drill during a practice with the women's soccer team in October. File photo

Junior defender Samie Cloutier, a standout member of GW’s backline, was named to the 12-member Atlantic 10 Second Team All-Conference today.

This is the first postseason award of her career as a Colonial. Cloutier, who was previously named to the A-10 Preseason All-Rookie Team in 2009, been a major component of GW’s backline for the past three seasons, starting all but one match during that time.

“Samie is one of the strongest one-on-one defenders we have ever had at GW,”  head coach Tanya Vogel said. “She is a leader on the field and takes that role very seriously. Samie is instrumental in the success of our defenders and she strengthens the team as a whole.”

Cloutier garnered praise for being an essential leader for the Colonials this season, directing play from her slot as GW’s last line of defense in front of senior goalkeeper Lindsey Rowe. Known for her physical, commanding style on the field, Cloutier’s efforts were often key to stopping opponents from scoring. She recorded one shot on play and helped hold GW’s opponents to a 1.52 goals-against average.

GW (5-12-2) wrapped up its season last weekend, falling to A-10 foes Massachusetts and Rhode Island and failing to qualify for the A-10 tournament.