Former Colonial Pops Mensah-Bonsu may return to NBA

Former GW men’s basketball player Pops Mensah-Bonsu may be making a return to the NBA, Ridiculousupside.com, an SB Nation sports blog, is reporting.

Mensah-Bonsu was released by a Spanish team in the Euroleague, Caja Laboral, after the team discovered a knee injury that caused him to fail a team physical last weekend.

Mensah-Bonsu’s agent, John Greig, told the site that Mensah-Bonsu would sign with an NBA team within the week. Although Greig refused to comment on where specifically the former Colonial is headed,  he did say that the new team was not in the Northwest Division.

Mensah-Bonsu has bounced around professional basketball since being signed by the Dallas Mavericks after not being drafted in the 2006 NBA Draft, spending time playing in Europe as well as in the NBA Development League and the NBA, for the Mavericks, San Antonio Spurs Houston Rockets and Toronto Raptors.

Mensah-Bonsu shined over the summer on Great Britain’s national team in Eurobasket qualifiers, averaging 19.3 points and 13.5 rebounds over eight games.

The former GW forward was immensely popular during his time in Foggy Bottom, and was especially famous for his ability to block opponents shots as well as his ferocious dunks. He averaged 12.6 points and 6.7 rebounds in 2005-06, his final season for the Colonials. GW went 26-2 overall that season and did not lose an Atlantic 10 game. The Colonials fell in the second round of the 2006 NCAA Tournament to top seeded Duke.