SGA leaders address student concerns on protests, approve budgets

Jordan Tovin | Assistant Photo Editor
Students at the Student Government Association meeting Monday.

Student Government Association leaders addressed concerns about on-campus protests following a public comment from a student who questioned the SGA’s role in advocating for student demonstrators.

SGA President Ethan Fitzgerald and Vice President Ethan Lynne led their first meeting in their new roles Tuesday where they addressed concerns about advocating for the rights of student protesters involved in the pro-Palestinian encampment in U-Yard and elected senators to seats that tied in the initial election. The SGA also unanimously approved the legislative and executive budgets for the upcoming fiscal year.

Sophomore Will O’Connell, a political science student, urged senators to address the pro-Palestinian protest in University Yard and H Street and the students who encampment organizers said were suspended for their participation in the encampment. O’Connell said the body of the SGA is supposed to represent the “seat at the table” between students and administration and asked the SGA “Where has this body been?” throughout the last week of student protests.

“I would like to remind everyone in this meeting that many of these students participating in these protests voted for you and supported your elections to these positions,” O’Connell said. “In other words, they chose you as candidates who could advocate for their interests, safety and wellbeing at this school.”

Fitzgerald, in his first address to the SGA Senate as president, said he is working to ensure the University’s administration is listening to “all students.” Fitzgerald said he encourages students to act with empathy when engaging with others on campus during this time.

“I want to help foster an inclusive campus environment where everyone feels safe, like they can belong,” Fitzgerald said. “Student advocacy is an integral part of our campus culture and I’m committed to serving every student.”

In his first vice presidential report, Lynne said he believes in free speech as a “vital” aspect of student activism and self expression. He said the use of police force should never be implemented by administration if students are engaged in peaceful protest.

“I also want to make it clear, any expressions of hate speech and actions that create an unsafe environment for students are not welcome and do not make us a better community,” Lynne said. “I want to emphasize that all groups of students on campus should be treated equally, and even though we are approaching the end of this school year, our tenure has just begun.”

Lynne swore in newly elected senators as well as his incoming senate staff composed of eight members, including his chief of staff, Katelyn Moon.

“I am filled with enthusiasm and optimism about the prospects for collaboration within the senate throughout this upcoming year,” Lynne said. “This role offers me a remarkable opportunity to work closely with everyone here.”

The senate elected Mehrshad Fahim Devin as the School of Medicine & Health Sciences graduate senator seat after a three-way tie in the initial election results. Devin said he wants to work to extend the childcare benefits that GW offers for staff and faculty to include students. He said other universities in the area, like American University, offer childcare support for their students, and he would like GW to offer similar benefits.

“I know this is a needed initiative because I have colleagues at the School of Medicine who have to choose between childcare and class,” Devin said.

Senators unanimously elected Edwin Torrescortes to the Milken Institute School of Public Health graduate senator seat. The Elliott School of International Affairs graduate student seat remains vacant as the candidate, Brooke Perlman, was not present at the senate meeting.

SGA senators unanimously approved the legislative budget for the upcoming term, allocating $11,668 to SGA’s legislative branch. Lynne said the budget will go towards material goods for the SGA and provide funding for food at meetings.

Senators also unanimously approved $29,667 for the executive branch’s budget for the upcoming fiscal year. Fitzgerald said the budget will be used to ensure events like Half Way to Pride Day at GW and the Mental Health Fair, which was canceled this year due to the closure of Kogan Plaza, can be held next year.

The next SGA Senate meeting will be held Monday.