Biden nominates alums to cabinet positions
By Sachini Adikari, Contributing News Editor • May 2, 2024

GW sports roundup for April 15-18

As usual, there was a lot of GW sports action over the weekend that we just couldn’t fit in our Monday issue. Here’s a quick roundup of the Colonial athletics action that didn’t make it into print.

Softball

The softball team went 0-4 over the weekend, dropping home games Friday and Saturday against Fordham by scores of 3-0 and 9-0 and losing both halves of a double header 11-1 and 10-0 Sunday on the road at Liberty. GW got its lone run of the weekend in the first inning of game one against Liberty, when sophomore Lauren Wilson scored on a single by sophomore Jordyn O’Donnell. Offense has been a recurring problem for the Colonials this season, who went eight games without scoring earlier this season.

Golf

The GW golf team split up this weekend, competing in to two tournaments in Maryland with varying rates of success. One half of the team tied for third on Sunday at the Caves Valley Spring Intercollegiate golf tournament in Owings Mills, Md. GW was led by sophomore Martin Liu, who shot a team-low 73 on Sunday and turned in a two-day score of 152, good enough for fourth overall in the tournament.

The Colonials who traveled to the Navy Spring Invitational in Annapolis, Md. fared worse than their teammates on Sunday, placing 19th out of the 21 team field. The low scorer for the Colonials in Annapolis was senior Sebastian Palomares, whose two-day score of 157 placed him 47th overall

Women’s Lacrosse

Despite going 1-1 on the weekend, the GW women’s lacrosse team found itself out of the Atlantic 10 tournament on Sunday after falling 12-10 on the road at Duquesne. The Colonials had managed to remain in contention after earning their first road win on the season on Friday with a 19-14 victory at St. Bonaventure, but were eliminated when Temple beat Saint Joseph’s earlier in the day on Sunday. Senior Taylor Donohue finished her GW career with 2 goals against the Dukes, a category in which she ranks fourth on the all-time list for the Colonials.

Women’s Tennis

The women’s tennis team wrapped its regular season on the road Saturday, falling 5-2 to UMBC. GW’s two points came from wins by sophomore Jacqueline Corba and junior Jennifer Hirsch at number one and number four singles, respectively. The pairing of freshman Mimi Hamling and senior Michele Style also earned a victory at number one doubles, but the Colonials dropped the other two doubles matches to lose the doubles point. GW will go to St. Louis next weekend for the Atlantic 10 tournament, which is set to begin this Friday.

Women’s Rowing

The women’s rowing team placed sixth at the Atlantic 10 championships over the weekend in Pennsauken, N.J., despite advancing all four of its boats to the grand finals. The Colonials’ second varsity eight-man boat won third in its final. No other GW boat placed in the finals. Even with the conference championships now in the books, the season is not over for the Colonials, who will race May 1 in the Eastern College Athletic Conference Metro Cup in Camden, N.J.