Four GW athletes win weekly A-10 awards

Junior Eric Cantrell of the GW baseball team, freshman women’s lacrosse player Nicole Lacey, junior men’s tennis player Chris Kushma, and freshman women’s tennis player Mimi Hamling were honored by the Atlantic 10 for their play this past week, the conference announced today.

In his lone start of the week, Cantrell struck out 16 batters in a complete-game 7-2 win at Dayton Sunday to earn A-10 Co-Pitcher of the Week honors. Cantrell gave up six hits and no walks in the game, earning his fifth victory of the season while quieting a Flyers offense that scored 27 runs over the series’ first two games. It was Cantrell’s third consecutive quality start and lowered his ERA this year to a team-best 2.87, which is also good for second in the A-10 among qualified pitchers.

Lacey shared the award for the conference’s top rookie after scoring a dramatic game-winning goal in triple overtime Sunday at La Salle, her fourth goal on eight attempts in the Colonials’ two weekend wins. Her 10 goals this year lead GW rookies and her 40 draws place her second among all players in the A-10.

Kushma played a key role in GW’s three victories this weekend, winning all three of his singles matches and teaming with classmate Erik Hannah to win all three of their No. 1 doubles matches. Kushma has now won six straight matches, his second long winning streak of the year, and will look to keep up his recent success as the Colonials head into the conference championships this Friday in Monroeville, Pa.

Hamling was named A-10 Rookie of the Week after winning twice in No. 2 singles competition over the weekend against James Madison and Towson. She also teamed with senior Michele Style to win the No. 1 doubles match against Towson Sunday. This is her second straight week earning the award.