Officials quiet on Commencement speaker less than month from ceremony

Thousands+of+graduates+gather+on+the+National+Mall+for+the+Commencement+ceremony+last+year.+
Auden Yurman | Senior Photo Editor
Thousands of graduates gather on the National Mall for the Commencement ceremony last year.

The University has not named this year’s Commencement speaker, less than a month out from the University’s ceremony on the National Mall.

Officials have largely announced the Commencement keynote speaker and honorary degree recipients at least two months before the ceremony for the past decade, but have not publicly announced this year’s speaker for the May 19 ceremony. At the Class of 2020’s virtual Commencement ceremony in May 2020, officials announced there would be no speaker in April.

A University spokesperson declined to comment on the record who the 2024 keynote speaker is or when it will be announced.

Bryan Stevenson, the founder and executive director of the Equal Justice Initiative, was announced as the 2023 Commencement speaker in January 2023 and Elana Meyers Taylor, an Olympian and alum, was announced as the 2022 Commencement speaker in March 2022. Officials announced Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) as the keynote speaker for the 2021 in-person Commencement ceremony for the Classes of 2020 and 2021 in August 2021.

The student Commencement speaker competition concluded its public voting process this month. A panel of judges will determine the student speaker from a pool of five semifinalists.