Senior drowns in Puerto Rico beach while on spring break

Senior Charles “Charley” Poor died last Sunday after drowning in the Condado Beach area of San Juan, Puerto Rico, while on spring break. He was 20.

Poor studied international affairs, according to an email from Dean of Students Colette Coleman to the GW community Friday. A Puerto Rico National Guard soldier, 34-year-old Staff Sgt. Fidel Cruz Llanos, died while attempting to rescue Poor from rough waves about 100 feet from shore, according to a U.S. Coast Guard release.

Poor was from Moline, Illinois. His family is accepting flowers and memorial trees, according to his obituary.

“I recognize that this is very difficult news to process, particularly for Charley’s family and many friends, and I want to extend condolences on behalf of our entire University community,” Coleman said in the email. “Charley was active across many areas of our campus, and he will be greatly missed by those who had the opportunity to know him.”

A Coast Guard spokesperson told Task & Purpose that Poor’s body was found last Sunday.

Condado Beach is regarded as a dangerous swimming location due to its strong rip currents, rough surf and jagged rocks. In February 2022, Puerto Rican Gov. Pedro Pierluisi supported observation towers, the installation of a reef to control tides and coastal erosion and more lifeguards to prevent deaths on the beach after a 12-year-old tourist drowned while on vacation. 

If you would like to share memories of Poor, please email [email protected].