GW Law to relocate students for final exams as cease-fire protest swells

Lexi Critchett | Staff Photographer

GW Law officials are relocating law students who are taking their final exams Thursday, citing noise concerns from the pro-Palestinian encampment protest in University Yard. 

In a video sent to law school students, Dean Dayna Bowen Matthew told students taking final exams on Thursday that they would be relocated to undisclosed locations. She said students who could be relocated would receive an email from the records or the dean of student offices about their new testing location. 

Students have received emails telling them to move their finals to buildings like the Law Learning Center in Potomac Square and the upper floors of Stockton Hall, which is next to U-Yard. 

Bowen Matthew said law students’ safety was not at risk. The protest has been peaceful, with the only exchanges being between pro-Israel counterprotesters yelling toward the encampment demonstrators, who have seemingly ignored them. 

“Now let me emphasize, there is nothing threatening your safety that is going on at this moment, but yet you our primary concern. To protect your safety and the integrity of our academic program, we will relocate student final exams.”

The University said in a statement Thursday morning that U-Yard was previously reserved and unavailable for demonstrations, adding that law students are taking their final exams. Officials told the encampment residents to disperse by 7 p.m.