SGA election set for April 11 and 12, pending senate approval

File Photo By Auden Yurman | Senior Photo Editor
Posters for the 2023 Student Government Association election.

The Joint Elections Commission approved the upcoming Student Government Association election dates Thursday, pending approval from the SGA senate.

JEC Deputy Elections Commissioner Michael Ubis said the commission will likely hold the election on April 11 and 12 after consent from the senate because the commission’s bylaws mandate the election is in March, and any changes to that timeline need senate authorization. The ratification of the April election will push it to the same week as last year, when the JEC postponed the election due to issues with verifying three candidates‘ signatures.

JEC members said late last month the SGA’s delays with reorganizing the commission pushed scheduling of the upcoming elections into April.

Ubis said candidate registration will span from March 19 to 26, where presidential and vice presidential candidates must submit a petition of support that contains the valid signatures of at least 1.5 percent of the student body, about 400 students. Ubis said the elections commission will then hold postering day on April 1 and “dorm storming,” where candidates campaign in residence halls from April 2 to 4. He said the presidential and vice presidential debate will be held on April 8.

Assistant Director of Student Involvement David Bonilla-Ciferri said the Division of Student Affairs is requiring all presidential and vice presidential candidates to attend a mandatory, closed-door listening circle on March 21 at 6 p.m., where they will learn a conflict mediation strategy to promote dialogue.