Officials restrict campus building access amid pro-Palestinian demonstration

Lexi Critchett | Staff Photographer

Officials restricted building access to community members with GWorld Thursday afternoon after pro-Palestinian demonstrators pitched a tent encampment in University Yard in the early morning.

A GW Alert issued at 12:09 p.m. announced the Foggy Bottom Campus is entering GWorld Safety mode, automatically locking all GWorld readers and requiring community members who “normally” already have access to certain buildings to tap to enter. The alert advises the community not to admit “unknown persons” who do not have access to buildings and to report unauthorized access or suspicious activity.

Hundreds of student, faculty and staff demonstrators from across the District have gathered in U-Yard to join the encampment, as of Thursday afternoon. Officials have advised protesters to relocate to Anniversary Park and leave U-Yard by 7 p.m.

Community members can exit buildings at any time. Officials restricted GWorld access in September during the manhunt for a homicide suspect who escaped GW Hospital and ahead of protests in the District in November.