Volleyball handed losses in New York against Fordham

After a split weekend against Duquesne Oct. 13 and 14, volleyball traveled to play Fordham where they lost twice.
File Photo by Rileigh Repovich | Photographer
Maeve Loughran embraces her teammates during a mid-game huddle.

This weekend, the Revolutionaries traveled to the Bronx, New York to take on Fordham University, coming off a split weekend against Duquesne. 

Their win against Duquesne bumped GW to 4-7 in conference play. The Revolutionaries have seven conference games remaining in their season as they attempt to secure a spot in the Atlantic 10 tournament in mid-November.

Last season, the Revs split their weekend series with the Rams, taking the first by a score of 3-0 and losing the second 1-3. The Rams are tied for fifth place in the A-10 standings, while the Revs are tied for seventh.

Despite the Revs putting up a strong fight, they fell short in both matches at Fordham. The Revs lost 2-3 Friday evening after falling in and out of the lead of the Rams before finally falling short in the down-to-the-wire fifth set. 

Fordham came out strong in the first two sets, winning the first 25-19 and the second 25-22, despite the Revs managing a 15-10 lead midway through the second set. The Revs took sets three and four, accumulating 35 kills in those two sets alone. Despite the Revs’ fierce efforts, Fordham jumped to an 8-3 lead early in the decisive fifth set, allowing them to settle and eventually win the set by a score of 15-9 for a game victory. 

Saturday afternoon, the Revs looked to turn their weekend around and take home a conference win but fell short again with a final score of 0-3. The Rams took down the Revs in three sets, taking the lead for the majority of the first and third set and leaving GW in the dust in the second set, where the Revs lost 25-16. 

Despite the loss this weekend, many career records were broken for the Revolutionaries, who displayed powerful offensive and defensive efforts. Junior outside hitters Brittany Myers and Salem Yohannes both tallied career highs, Yohannes with 26 kills Friday and Myers recording 18 kills Saturday. Sophomore Maeve Loughran also accomplished a season-high on Friday, dishing out 55 assists, breaking her previous career high of 51 assists achieved two matches prior. 

With the Revs tied for the seventh seed in the A-10 with Saint Louis, the team is looking to stand out during the upcoming matches. Six out of the ten teams in the conference will make the A-10 tournament where they will have the opportunity to compete for the A-10 Championship.  

“I think the team is pretty hungry to finish this regular season play on a high note and really prove what we can do,” Reifert said. “Hopefully we will play at our best at the end of the season, which is what you want to do and hopefully prove that that’s what we’re doing at this point in the season.”

Up next, the Revolutionaries will travel just across the Potomac to Fairfax, Virginia, where they will face conference rival George Mason on Wednesday, Oct. 25 at 6 p.m.