Anonymous donor gives $25 million to GW Museum and Textile Museum

A $25 million donation to The Textile Museum will fund an endowment, conservation equipment and technology for digital resource preservation and programming.

A $25 million anonymous donation to The GW Textile Museum will fund an endowment, conservation equipment and technology for digital resource preservation and programming, according to a University release published Wednesday.

The release states that $12 million of the $24 million endowment for education, curatorial and conservation initiatives will support research, sponsor students and visiting scholars and help fund the museum’s Avenir Foundation Conservation and Collections Resource Center, a hub for conservation scholarship on GW’s Virginia Science and Technology campus. The other $12 million will promote “onsite museum education” and digital global initiatives through the hiring of a new educator, expanded course offerings and more paid student positions, according to the release.

The gift is the largest donation to the museum in its more than 100-year history, the release states.

“These funds will allow us to expand our leading work in textile collections care, scholarship and museum training for generations to come,” University President Ellen Granberg said in the release.

The remainder of the gift will support digital conservation efforts and collecting textile archives by funding technology for virtual programming, the development of The Textile Museum Collection’s online presence and the preservation of digital resources, according to the release. John Wetenhall, the director of The GW Museum and The Textile Museum, said these digital resources will grow the museum’s “audience” and help educate the next generation of scholars.

“This extraordinary gift acknowledges the worldwide relevance of our museum’s collections, invests in our museum professionals and recognizes our responsibility to share, collaborate and facilitate access to global heritage,” Wetenhall said in the release.

Bruce P. Baganz, the chairman of The Textile Museum’s Board of Trustees and co-chair of the George Washington University Museum’s board, said the resources made available through the donation, including archival access, digital images and research, will advance international scholarship and leadership.

“This remarkable donor’s generosity ensures The Textile Museum of enduring reach as it addresses the key challenge of cultivating successive generations of those who appreciate textiles as art and cultural heritage,” Baganz said in the release.