GW junior and recent GMU graduate land seats in ANC races

Detrick Campbell, junior, was elected as a commissioner on the Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission. Hatchet file photo by Max Wang | Hatchet Photographer

GW students could notice some familiar faces in the Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission, including at least one fellow student.

Junior and GW College Democrats leader Detrick Campbell won a vacant commissioner’s seat on a platform on public safety, sustainability and better use of resources by D.C. agencies. This past year he served as the ANC liaison.

Eve Zhurbinskiy, junior, also ran for a commissioner’s seat with a write-in campaign after serving as a commissioner and ANC treasurer for the last year. Her campaign platform focused on sidewalk improvement, sexual harassment prevention training for bar employees and access to rape kits. Zhurbinskiy will not know results of her campaign for a few days.

In the only contested race, Marco Guzman beat Matthew Chwastek for a commissioner’s seat, running on a platform on open communication between the ANC and neighbors and opposition to expansion of GW into the historic neighborhood.

The 29-year-old editing assistant at Tax Analysts, a weekly tax publication, came to D.C. three years ago in hopes of starting his own political career.

Patrick Kennedy, the chair of the commission and an alumnus, won re-election for chairperson.

Incumbents Rebecca Coder, Phillip Schrefer, William Smith and Florence Harmon all also won their uncontested commissioner seats this year.