Elliott School alumna loses first congressional bid

Alumna Christina Hartman lost the race for Pennsylvania's 16th district in Pennsylvania to Lloyd Smucker Tuesday. Photo courtesy of the Hartman campaign.
Alumna Christina Hartman lost the race for Pennsylvania’s 16th district in Pennsylvania to Lloyd Smucker Tuesday. Photo courtesy of the Hartman campaign.

This post was written by reporter Colleen Grablick.

An Elliott School of International Affairs alumna lost her bid for a U.S. Congress seat in Pennsylvania Tuesday night.

Christina Hartman received 43 percent of the votes in Pennsylvania’s 16th district, according to Lancaster Online.

She faced Republican nominee Lloyd Smucker, who previously held a seat in the state senate. Smucker earned 53 percent of the votes.

This was Hartman’s first time running for the office, after spending several years in international service. During her time at GW, Hartman served as a volunteer at the Democratic National Committee during her freshman year. She went on to intern in the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

President Barack Obama endorsed Hartman in the race last month, Lancaster Online reported.

After graduating from the Elliott School in 1999, Hartman spent time working in Belgrade, Serbia, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. She later received her master’s degree in international political economy and development from Fordham University in 2004.

Hartman focused her campaign platform around ending the gridlock in Congress and uniting members of Congress from both sides of the aisle. She also planned to focus on education and help revitalize an economy that can foster job growth and create suitable living wages.