Preview: Women’s basketball vs. Dayton

Junior Shannon Cranshaw drives to the hoop in GW's win against Saint Louis earlier this season. Camille Ramasastry | Hatchet Photographer
Junior Shannon Cranshaw drives to the hoop in GW’s win against Saint Louis earlier this season. Camille Ramasastry | Hatchet Photographer
This post was written by Hatchet reporter Marty Fenn.

What: Women’s basketball (20-4, 10-1 A-10) vs Dayton (13-9, 6-5 A-10)

Where: The Smith Center, Washington, D.C., ESPNU (TV)

When: Sunday, Feb. 14 at 12 p.m.

The Colonials return to the Smith Center for a Valentine’s Day showdown with conference rival Dayton after a week-long break. The Flyers are coming off five-straight wins in conference after starting the A-10 season at 1-5, and notched a win against a ranked opponent when they beat Louisville in the Gulf Coast Showcase back in November.

GW rebounded from its first conference loss at the hands of Fordham to beat Richmond on the road. The Colonials last played Dayton on January 10, when they escaped with a 62-61 win as Jonquel Jones’ last-minute three pointer propelled the team to victory.

The case for the Colonials: After an underwhelming 5-3 start to the season, GW has won 15 of its last 16 games. That stretch included a 14-game winning streak helped run GW’s record to 20-4 overall, and 10-1 in the A-10.

While the team has certainly missed the presence of star forward Jonquel Jones, strong play from veterans Lauren Chase, Caira Washington, and Hannah Schaible as well as the play of sophomores Brianna Cummings and Kelli Prange has kept coach Tsipis’ team on the winning track.

Likewise, the backcourt has been bolstered tremendously by junior Shannon Cranshaw, whose early-season shooting slump is history. The Colonials are 10-1 at home, and have not lost at the Smith Center since a 64-60 defeat at the hands of Florida Gulf Coast on Dec. 3.

Prange’s development has been particularly crucial in Jones’ absence. Her 15 points and six rebounds were a major contributor in the team’s win over Richmond, and she has upped her rebounding totals to 5.4 per game since her insertion into the lineup.

Likewise, Washington has stepped up her game, notching double-doubles in two of the last three contests. The Colonials persistent ability to win the rebounding battle and their ferocious attack on the offensive glass gives them a huge advantage in creating second opportunities.

The case for Dayton: Do not let a mediocre 13-9 record fool you – the Flyers are a tough team to beat, and seem to be peaking at the right time, adjusting to playing without key pieces in Amber Deane and Kelley Austria who have been out since mid-December.

Despite starting the conference season at 1-5, Dayton has won its last five A-10 games, including a 81-58 throttling of George Mason on Wednesday.

The Flyers are led by sophomore guard Jenna Burdette, who can do it all. Burdette averages 10.9 points to go along with 4.0 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game. Burdette’s control of the game and her ability to take care of the ball will be critical for a Dayton team that averages over 15 turnovers per game.

The biggest key to the game, however, will be the play of junior center Saicha Grant-Allen. The 6-foot-5 center put up 12 points and nine rebounds last time out against the Colonials, and her ability to rebound and muck up activity in the paint will loom large on the game, particularly if the Colonials remain without Jones.

The verdict: Expect another nail-biter, with the Flyers playing at a high level and the Colonials looking to keep pace with Duquesne at the top of the A-10 standings.