Women’s basketball gets bounceback win over St. Bonaventure

Junior Jonquel Jones jumps for a layup in the Colonials' 70-48 win over St. Bonaventure on Sunday. Jones posted her 15th double-double of the season with 17 rebounds and 13 points. Desiree Halpern | Contributing Photo Editor
Junior Jonquel Jones jumps for a layup in the Colonials’ 70-48 win over St. Bonaventure on Sunday. Jones posted her 15th double-double of the season with 17 rebounds and 13 points. Desiree Halpern | Contributing Photo Editor
This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Rob Bartnichak.

No. 20 women’s basketball returned to its winning ways in dominating fashion at the Smith Center today, defeating St. Bonaventure 70-48.

Junior Jonquel Jones posted her 15th double-double of the year with 13 points and a game-high 17 rebounds, and added a season high eight assists. Sophomore Caira Washington also recorded a double-double, as she led all players with 18 points and tallied 11 rebounds.

“It was a fun game to be out there and bounce back after the game we had in Saint Louis,” Jones said. “We had a lot of things we wanted to focus on and things we wanted to get better.”

With the win, GW improves to 22-3 overall and 11-1 in Atlantic 10 conference play.

“We needed to be better the last couple of days and that would play into today,” said head coach Jonathan Tsipis. “I’m really proud of our group and how they were able to be what you’ve seen a GW women’s basketball team be all year.”

The Colonials controlled the paint, out-rebounding the Bonnies 57-31 for the game. They held a 34-12 scoring advantage in the paint and a 22-3 scoring advantage on second chance points. GW shot 40 percent from the field.

Tsipis said he was happy with the way the defense responded after Saint Louis snapped his team’s 19-game win streak on Saturday, saying it was back to its “customary level.” The Colonials held the Bonnies to only 28 percent shooting and only 24 points in each half. However, St. Bonaventure hit 41 percent from three-point range, making seven three-pointers.

“We didn’t let any of the threes drain us,” Tsipis said. “On Wednesday after Saint Louis hit them there was frustration. But even when it was at 11-11 early today it was at our pace.”

GW went into the half on a 26-13 run over the final 13:10 to build a 37-24 lead. The Colonials shot 45.5 percent from the field, while holding the Bonnies to 32.3 percent. GW dominated on the glass, holding a 26-13 rebound advantage.

Similarly, GW outscored the Bonnies 16-6 in the paint, and 10-3 on the second chance in the first half.

“We were shooting really well,” said sophomore Hannah Schaible, who had 13 points. “That plays into a snowball effect of being able to hit certain people and play off the defense.”

Washington led all players with 10 points on five for six shooting, and added six rebounds. Jones was close behind with nine points, and tallied a first half high eight rebounds. Miller lead all players with four first half assists, and added four points and three turnovers.

“We need to make sure our practice translates to the game,” Washington said of the plan for the stretch run. “That’s running the floor, guards pushing it, and our bench being just as active as people on the floor.”

GW returns to action on Wednesday to face VCU on the road at 7 p.m.