Jones named Player of the Week for second time this season

Junior Jonquel Jones drives through defenders in a game earlier this season against Virginia Union. File Photo by Dan Rich | Hatchet Photographer
Jonquel Jones drives through defenders in a game against Virginia Union. File Photo by Dan Rich | Hatchet Photographer
Junior forward Jonquel Jones earned the Atlantic 10 women’s basketball Player of the Week title for the second time this season, the league announced Monday.

Jones received the honor after a 70-52 win against Saint Mary’s on Sunday, where she recorded her fourth double-double of the season to lead GW with 16 points and 10 rebounds.

Last Monday, in a 63-44 victory over Memphis, the 6-foot-4 junior also guided her team with an impressive 15 points and 14 rebounds while averaging 2.5 assists and two blocks on the week.

The Freeport, Bahamas native is averaging 15.3 points and 10.5 rebounds, two team bests that helped her land on the Naismith Trophy preseason watch list on Dec. 10. She is the first Colonial to appear on the list since Kimberly Beck in 2007-08.

Beck and Jessica Adair were the last two Colonials to earn multiple awards in a single season in 2006-07. Monday’s announcement also marks Jones’ third award of her career.

Jones’ first A-10 Player of the Week award of the season came on Dec. 1 after she guided her team to the Junkanoo Jam Freeport Division title.

She will look to extend the Colonials’ seven-game winning streak on Sunday when GW (9-2) travels to Loyola for a 2 p.m. matchup.