Preview: Colonials, without McDonald, hope to take down struggling Dayton

WHO: GW (17-3, 5-1) vs. Dayton (13-8, 1-5)
WHERE: University of Dayton Arena
WHEN: Saturday, Feb. 1 @ 12:30 p.m.

Case for Dayton:

At the end of Novemvber, Dayton was 6-1 and just off a huge 84-79 win over a now 19-3 Gonzaga team. When the non-conference schedule was finished, the Flyers were up to 12-3, ready to take on the best the Atlantic 10 had to offer.

Unfortunately for the Flyers, the A-10’s best has been too much for them to handle, losing five of six conference games to the likes of Saint Louis, Richmond, VCU, Rhode Island and Saint Joseph’s.

Senior forward Isaiah Armwood will look to dominate the paint Saturday, with his team's backcourt depleted with injury. Cameron Lancaster | Assistant Photo Editor
Senior forward Isaiah Armwood will look to dominate the paint Saturday, with his team’s backcourt depleted with injury. Cameron Lancaster | Assistant Photo Editor

To get back on track against GW Saturday, Dayton will have to do so with its offense. The Flyers rank first in the A-10 in field goal percentage (.475) and second in three-point field goal percentage (.378). Additionally, sophomore Khari price (.443) and junior Jordan Sibert (.434) rank second and third in the league, respectively, in percentage from beyond the arc.

The Flyers dont have any one dominant scorer, but they do spread the ball well, averaging 13 assists a game to get three players – Devin Oliver (12.2 ppg), Dyshawn Pierre (12 ppg) and Silbert (12 ppg) – into double figures.

With Joe McDonald and Kethan Savage both out, the last thing GW wants is for Saturday to turn into a shootout. But if it does, the struggling Flyers will certainly have the edge.

If it turns into a close one down the stretch, look for the more than 12,000 Dayton fans – first in the A-10 in average attendance – to potentially make the difference.

Case for GW:

GW may be a remarkable 10-0 at home this season, but entering University of Dayton Arena will be a completely different – and hostile – environment.

To get the win, over a still strong Flyers’ team, the Colonials will need the continued frontcourt dominance of Isaiah Armwood and Kevin Larsen, as well as veteran performance from graduate student Maurice Creek.

Creek knows that without Savage and McDonald, he will be given a huge number of the backcourt responsibilities, including guarding smaller, quicker guards and running plays from the top of the key. If Creek is able to find open shots, while also controlling the offense for extended periods, he could help carry his team to victory.

There to help carry the load will be the enforcers: Armwood and Larsen. The two have been unstoppable of late, with the Blockness Monster coming off 16 point, 14 rebound night against La Salle, and Larsen averaging 16.6 points per game over the last five matchups. Their presence in the paint will be huge with the depleted backcourt and in winning the all-important rebounding battle.

Dayton ranks first in the A-10, allowing just 31 boards per game, but GW holds a slightly higher rebounding margin and average. If this game boils down to success on the glass, the edge looks to tip in favor of the Colonials.