Porras named College Squash Association female player of the week

After going a perfect 2-0 in individual play this weekend against Massachusetts competition, the College Squash Association named women’s squash standout Anna Porras as the Female Player of the Week Tuesday.

Sophomore Anna Gabriela Porras. Hatchet File Photo

As a team, the No. 12 Colonials swept their competition, earning victories against No. 21 Mount Holyoke, an upset win over No.10 Bates, and a win against No. 18 Amherst. GW (4-4) would lose just one individual match the entire weekend.

The highlight of Porras’ weekend came on Saturday when Porras took on Bates’ best, Nessrine Arrifin. Arrifin, who finished last season individually ranked No.29 nationally took the first two sets from Porras in the early going. Porras would respond, and rally to take the ensuing two sets both by the score of 17-15.

Before the fifth set of play, Arrifin collapsed of cramps, but Porras would pause her competitive momentum to help her opponent stretch. After play resumed Porras would eventually overtake Griffin 11-6 for the comeback victory.

Porras carried her momentum into Sunday against No. 18 Amherst, where Porras would win decisively over Erika Robertson (11-1, 11-4, 11-0).

With the 2-0 weekend Porras is now 6-1 on the season.

Last season Porras became GW’s first ever squash player to be named a CSA All-American after finishing her debut season with a 16-4 record.

Next weekend, the Colonials will head to New Haven for the Yale Round Robin Tournament where they are scheduled to play take on No. 15 Williams, No.20 Bowdoin, No. 5 Yale and No. 17 Middlebury.