Women’s basketball players sweep A-10 weekly honors

Guard Danni Jackson looks to maneuver a pass past Jackson State earlier in the season. Hatchet File Photo

Without leading scorer Megan Nipe against American last week, GW needed a lift. They got it.

Graduate student Danni Jackson carried the team alongside freshman Hannah Schaible. Both of their performances Saturday led to a sweep of the Atlantic 10 weekly honors: Jackson earning Player of the Week and Schaible winning Rookie of the Week.

It marks the first time the team has swept the awards since February of 2005, when Anna Montanana and Whitney Alley won Player of the Week and Rookie of the Week, respectively. That GW team would eventually go on to play in the NCAA tournament.

A-10 Player of the Week: Danni Jackson

Usually one to throw the dime over to her backcourt classmate Nipe for three, against American it was Jackson who took over offensively. Jackson knocked down three treys en route to a 23-point performance, her second straight 20-point game. Jackson would add four assists and three rebounds in a 77-64 win over American last Saturday.

This honor marks the second time Jackson has been named conference player of the week. Jackson last earned the honor on Dec. 24, 2012. Jackson is the first Colonial to win the weekly honor in her GW career since Sarah-Jo Lawrence (’08).

A-10 Rookie of the Week: Hannah Schaible

Against American, Schaible scored 15 points, grabbed five rebounds, and tallied three assists and three steals in GW’s 13-point win against the Colonials crosstown rival.

Schaible is the second GW freshman to earn the honor this season after freshman Caira Washington was named Rookie of the Week on Dec. 16.

The last time GW won the honor twice in a season was 2008-09, when Tiana Meyers won the honor twice. But more notably, it is the first time two different Colonials earned the honor in the same season since2 Jessica and Jazmine Adair in 2005-06.