Preview: Colonials look to start winter break on right foot

WHO: GW (9-1) vs. University of Maryland – Baltimore County (3-8)
WHEN: Saturday at 2:30 p.m.
WHERE: Smith Center

Case for UMBC:

Forward Isaiah Armwood puts up a shot in a win earlier this season. Hatchet File Photo

Coming in as the obvious underdog, the Retrievers will do their best to play the Grinch in GW’s winter plans.

Freshman guard Rodney Elliot leads UMBC with 14.1 points per game, while two others – Chase Plummer and Malik Garner – are also scoring in double figures, at 12.6 and 10.9, respectively. The biggest advantage for the Retrievers, though, will be their depth. All but one player on the roster averages more than ten minutes per game, as head coach Aki Thomas likes to keep opponents on their toes with constantly changing matchups. It will be interesting to see how head coach Mike Lonergan, who has drawn up some great defensive game plans this season, will adjust mid-game to UMBC’s lineups.

Despite GW having a slight height advantage, on paper, the Retrievers match up pretty well in the rebounding category, averaging 38.5 boards per game to the Colonials 39. Additionally, of their 423 boards on the season, 158 have been on the offensive glass. If they can create second-chance opportunities for themselves on the glass, they could limit GW’s opportunities of getting out in transition and grabbing easy baskets.

Five different Retrievers have recorded double-digit steals on the season, and although GW has been strong at taking care of the ball, if UMBC can pick their pocket a few times early on, they could get some easy buckets and set the Colonials offense off-balance.

Case for GW:

Fresh off receiving five votes in the most recent AP Press poll, the Colonials are looking to keep their hot streak going as they head into winter break competition.

Playing in their home arena, the Colonials have an obvious advantage, not just because they are undefeated at home this year, but because the Retrievers have failed to win a game on the road this season. Certainly not good odds for UMBC. The Retrievers are additionally coming off three straight losses, the most recent being a 20-point rout at the hands of Coppin State, 91-71.

The Colonials potent offense – led by graduate student Maurice Creek’s 15.7 points per game – will be able to take advantage of the Retrievers’ struggling defense that gives up 79.4 points per game, eight points more than their per game scoring average. At the moment, all five GW starters are averaging more than nine points per game.

Look for Creek and forward Nemanja Mikic to try and get hot from the outside against a UMBC defense that has allowed opponents to shoot 35 percent from beyond the arc. Waring out the UMBC defenders along the perimeter will certainly help GW on the glass and in transition.

On the defensive end, look for guards Joe McDonald and Kethan Savage to try and cause problems for Elliot, who despite leading the team in scoring, is still inexperienced at the collegiate level. He has already turned the ball over a team-high 38 times this season.

At 9-1 on the season, the Colonials are tied for their eighth-best start in program history, and with a win, will tie the 1992-93 squad that started the year 10-1.