Preview: Women’s basketball continues home stand against Morgan State

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Josh Solomon.

WHO: GW (5-4) vs. Morgan State (1-6)

WHERE: Smith Center

WHEN: Saturday at 2 p.m.

Case for Morgan State:

Graduate student guard Megan Nipe gets tangled up with a Loyola defender earlier this season. Look for Nipe to have a big game against Morgan State Saturday. Cameron Lancaster | Contributing Photo Editor

With finals week in full swing and the Colonials just one game away from introducing sophomore transfer Jonquel Jones, GW may be overlooking their matchup with the Bears. The Colonials will have to prepare for a Morgan State team that has the ability to put up big numbers on the scoreboard. They are averaging 61.4 points per game, and won their lone game with 90 points against Division III school Wesley.

Junior guard Tracey Carrington is averaging 19.4 points per game and will lead her team in their final away game of a five-game swing. Fellow junior guard Danielle Forrest is second on the team with 10.6 points per game and has nailed 14 three-pointers on the season, for a 37 percent mark from behind the arc.

Morgan State will need to be able to make their shots at a high percentage if they want to stay in the game with another team that likes to score a lot. Currently they are shooting just 34.2 percent from the field, but a percentage in the 40’s will likely keep them in the game against the Colonials.

Case for GW:

The Colonials will face off with the Bears for the fourth year in a row and eighth time in the series. Last year on Morgan State’s home court, GW won 75-40, maintaining an early 30-point lead throughout most of the game. GW has won the last two meetings, following a double-overtime loss in Florida to the Bears three seasons ago.

In that game, then-sophomore Brooke Wilson posted a double-double with 11 points and 12 rebounds. Wilson, who has been seeing limited minutes as she heals from an injury, will look to find her game again against this Morgan State team.

Last year against the Bears, then-senior Megan Nipe lead the team with 14 points, highlighted by 6-8 from the free throw line. Look for Nipe to continue to lead her team both by getting to the line and finding her shot from long range. With Morgan State team that struggles defensively, it is probable Nipe could see another 30-point game if she plays enough minutes.

Comfortable at home, with the lone loss at the Smith Center this year coming to Towson, this will be the third game of a seven-game home stand for GW. This might be the last game, though, in which head coach Jonathan Tsipis is forced to feature his three-guard lineup to start a game. Six-foot-four Jones will likely work her way into the starting lineup upon her return next Saturday against North Carolina A&T, adding height to the starting lineup and depth to the frontcourt.