Women’s volleyball bounces back in straight-sets win

Senior outside hitter Rachael Gross jumps to spike a ball earlier this season. Hatchet File Photo
David L. Forney 412.860.5551

Senior outside hitter Rachael Goss hits the ball over the net in an October match against George Mason. Hatchet File Photo by Cameron Lancaster
This post was written by Hatchet reporter Aaron Esparza

After having their five-game win streak snapped in a straight sets loss to Duquesne Friday, the women’s volleyball team rebounded with a straight-sets win of their own Sunday to complete the season sweep against George Mason (25-19 25-17 25-22).

The Colonials (11-11, 6-2 A-10) were able to find their balanced attack that evaded them in Friday’s match.

Powered by freshman Chidima Osuchukwu, juniors Kelsey Newman and Landon Garvik and Senior Rachel Goss, the Colonials’ offense was too much for Mason to handle

“We have a lot of attackers that we can use and that can be successful and so I think it’s to our advantage to try to balance ourselves out as much as possible,” said head coach Amanda Ault.

It was that balance that led the Colonials through comfortable first and third set victories, with the exception of the second set coming from a strong effort by the Patriots (6-17, 2-7 A-10).

Freshman Emily Clemens posted a double-double of 30 assists coupled with 14 digs, while sophomore libero Maddy Doyle tallied 12 digs.

Both Osuchukwu and Garvik went errorless on the attacking front posting nine and seven kills respectively with Osuchukwu hitting .692.

With the win, the Colonials add another point for GW in the Revolutionary Rivalry.

The Colonials will play the defending Atlantic 10 champion Dayton on Friday at 7 p.m. at the Smith Center