Women’s volleyball: Georgetown preview

Outside hitter Rachel Goss had 14 digs Saturday afternoon. Hatchet File Photo

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Sean Hurd.

The women’s volleyball team has a chance to make a statement Wednesday night against a cross-town rival.

With six games under their belt and a 3-3 overall record, the Colonials have a chance to press the reset button on their season and start anew as they face off against a big name, but struggling team, in Georgetown (3-4). The Colonials will play the Hoyas in a non-conference matchup at 7 p.m. at the McDonough Arena.

The meeting between the two D.C. teams will be their first since 2011, when the Colonials beat the Hoyas in five sets on the Smith Center court, increasing their all-time series record against GU to 35-28.

Players to watch

The Hoyas, who finished the 2012-2013 season with a 7-21 overall record, will look to three key players to lead their team during their 2013 home opener, Sophomore outside hitter Laren Saar (81 kills, .153 attack %), junior outside hitter Alex Johnson (78 kills, nine service aces) and junior libero Mackenzie Simpson (123 digs).

The Colonials will take on the Hoyas with an array of players who have shown promising production in their first six games of the season.

Sophomore libero Maddy Doyle has served as the vocal spark plug for the Colonials so far this season and is putting up some impressive numbers as well. Doyle ranks third in the Atlantic 10 conference, averaging 4.61 digs per set, while compiling 106 digs on the season.

Another bright spot for this Colonials team has been the play of freshman Chidima “Chi Chi” Osuchukwu. Osuchukwu, who was named to the UCF Classic all-tournament team, ranks first for the Colonials in total blocks with 23 (8 solo blocks), and fourth in the A-10 with a .346 attack percentage.

Opposite of Osuchukwu for much of the season has been junior outside hitter Kelsey Newman. Newman leads the Colonials team in both kills (70) and points (78).

Look for…

Look for head coach Amanda Ault to be flexible with her lineup on the floor during Wednesday’s contest. After making slight changes and tweaks to the lineup last weekend at the UCF Classic, Ault has shown that she won’t hesitate to relieve a struggling player on the court if necessary.

Both freshmen setter Emily Clemens and outside hitter Loren Williams have given Ault options off the bench. In the fourth set of a match last weekend against Elon, Clemens was inserted as the team’s setter for a struggling Jordan Timmer. Clemens capitalized on the opportunity tallying 13 assists for GW in the five-set matchup.

Clemens was setting to Loren Williams, who also saw extra time in the Elon match after having only appeared in one game all season. Williams became an instrumental part of the GW offense, totaling 13 kills and two solo blocks in a GW victory.