Women’s lacrosse team matches best start in program history

hilary quinn, lacrosse, lax
Senior midfielder Hilary Quinn recorded a team-high four ground balls in the Colonials’ two games last week. | Hatchet File Photo

The Colonials picked up an 11-6 victory at District-rival George Mason yesterday, improving to 3-1 on the season.

Both teams combined for six goals over the first nine minutes of the game, after GW scored three of the first four, but saw the Patriots quickly tie it up. Senior Sarah Phillips broke the stalemate at the 14:17 mark, beginning a 6-0 Colonials run to close the half. During that time, senior Megan Seidman scored twice and added two assists. Her second goal was the 100th of her career, and made her just the third GW player in program history to reach that mark.

George Mason came out of the break on the attack, scoring twice over the first 80 seconds of play. Undaunted, the Colonials defense held the Patriots scoreless for the rest of the game, keeping them to just four shots over the rest of play.

Seidman scored two goals, for a season-high four goals and six points, in the second half. Her four tallies came on five shots, while Phillips earned four points on a goal and three assists, causing three turnovers. Freshman Rachel Mia and senior Casey Disharoon each added two goals, with Disharoon adding three ground balls and three draw controls. Junior goalie Jess Hicks recorded a career-high seven saves.

GW next heads to Bucknell Saturday at 1 p.m.