Candace Silva-Martin named D.C. Challenge most valuable player

jamie armstrong volleyball
Sophomore Jamie Armstrong, right, sets up for a spike during the D.C. Challenge. The Colonials swept the tournament to clinch its title. | File Photo

Candace Silva-Martin, the junior libero, was named the D.C. Challenge’s most valuable player, two days after the Colonials defeated Georgetown to clinch the tournament title. Senior MacKenzie Knox and sophomore Jamie Armstrong were also named to the All-Tournament Team after GW swept the Challenge.

Silva-Martin posted 53 digs over the course of the tournament, establishing GW’s defense in its three victories over American (3-1, Aug. 26), George Mason (3-1, Aug. 28) and Georgetown (3-2, Sept. 13). She added contributed 12 assists, five service aces and two kills as the Colonials clinched the Challenge.

Knox earned 27 kills against seven errors for a .323 attack percentage during the tournament, posting a team-high 11 blocks.

Armstrong hit a team-high .375 for the tournament with 29 kills, nine digs, three aces and eight block assists, and posted her best match of the tournament against American, when she earned a career-high 14 kills against just four errors for a .417 attack percentage.

Next, GW travels to the San Diego Invitational, opening Sept. 16 against Indiana at 8 p.m. and then facing No. 17 San Diego and UC-Santa Barbara Sept. 17.