GW softball alumna and bronze medalist returns to campus

Jordan Emont/Hatchet Photographer

GW softball alumna and Olympic bronze medalist Elana Meyers returned to her old GW stomping grounds at the Mount Vernon softball field Tuesday afternoon for the filming of an MSNBC segment.

Meyers, who won her bronze medal in two-man bobsled in Vancouver just two weeks ago, played catcher for another Olympic medalist, softball pitcher Jennie Finch, as part of a contest between Finch and NBC News reporter Luke Russert.

The segment was based on a bet between Russert and Finch that Russert wouldn’t be able to get a hit off of Finch in 10 tries, with the loser writing a check for $1,000 to the charity of the winner’s choosing.

After fouling off the first pitch, Russert failed to make contact on any of the next nine pitches and as a result will be cutting a check to ‘nplay, a charity that fights childhood obesity through sports.

Meyers, who did not play catcher at GW or in her one year of professional softball but has some catching experience, said she was somewhat nervous getting back behind the plate, regardless of how accomplished her battery mate was.

“It wasn’t a little nerve racking catching for Jennie, it was a little nerve racking catching overall,” Meyers said. “To catch off of one of the world’s greatest pitchers, one of the greatest pitchers to ever play the game, it was exciting.”

Finch, who will go to the Capitol tomorrow to talk to congress members about physical education grants as part of National Health Through Fitness Day, said she was impressed with Meyers skills behind the plate, especially in light of the Olympian’s short turn around after the games.

“She didn’t need any tips, she did an awesome job back there,” Finch said. “She didn’t skip a beat. That’s pretty nice coming from the Winter Olympics back to the summer sport of softball and popping in just like that.”

After the charitable bet was settled, both Meyers and Finch stayed around to talk to the GW softball team and sign autographs. Meyers also showed off her bronze medal to the team, allowing them to pass it around and take pictures with it.

This visit was a brief one for the former GW player, who will leave again tomorrow to begin training in Park City, Ut. as a bobsled driver after winning her medal in Vancouver as a brakeman. Despite the brevity of her visit, Meyers’ seemed happy reconnecting with old friends on the field where she had so much success.

“It’s great,” Meyers said of her return to GW. “It’s like a homecoming, so to say… [I’m] a little rusty, but it was fun none the less.”