Softball pulls even in A-10

The GW softball team split its doubleheader at home against Dayton on Saturday. The Colonials are 9-21 overall, but after beating the Flyers (3-5, 14-13-1 Atlantic 10) once, GW is an even 4-4 in A-10 play.

“We had fun (Saturday) with a real team effort trying to win a couple of games that we need to help us qualify for the A-10 Tournament,” freshman first baseman Caroline Howe said. “Our pitching was solid in both games, and our defense is really playing well as a unit.”

In the first game, pitcher Jen Hrycyna (7-7) led the way, notching a complete-game, 2-0 shutout. The freshman surrendered only four hits in seven innings and struck out five.

Freshman leftfielder Katie Miller had an RBI single in the second inning and Howe’s solo home run to left field in the sixth put the game out of reach for GW.

“We matched up pretty well against Dayton and didn’t make any serious mistakes all day,” Howe said. “I’m glad we got the win.”

Freshman third baseman Lindsay Graham went 2-for-3 with a stolen base, while Howe went 1-for-2 with a run and an RBI. Freshman center fielder Jackie Yaniga was a force on the base paths, recording two stolen bases for the Colonials.

In the second game, the Colonials fell 2-1 in nine innings. Pitcher Gabby Culp (2-10) surrendered only six hits in the loss. The sophomore, who had a no-hitter through four innings, struck out seven Dayton batters, but did not allow any earned runs.

The Flyers struck first, pushing across an unearned run in the top of the first. GW answered in the third when freshman catcher Colleen Kegler scored on a Miller single. In the ninth, Dayton scored another unearned run on a single, earning a split on the road.

Howe went 3-for-4 with a stolen base, while Miller went 2-for-3 at the plate, and Yaniga went 2-for-4 with a double. On the defensive side, Kegler and Howe recorded seven put outs apiece.