Tennis finishes sixth at A-10s

The GW men’s tennis team wrapped up its season with a sixth-place finish in the Atlantic 10 Championships Sunday, losing to Saint Joseph’s in the fifth-place match at the Oxford Athletic Club in Monroeville, Pa.

Second-seeded St. Bonaventure beat No. 1 seed Richmond to take the title and the accompanying automatic NCAA tournament berth. Duquesne finished third, followed by Xavier and Saint Joseph’s.

GW players said they hoped to place higher than sixth, especially after the Colonials’ second-place finish at the conference tournament last season.

“I was very disappointed with our performance,” sophomore Jake Jopling said. “I really thought we had a good chance to compete deep into the tournament.”

The fourth-seeded Hawks beat sixth-seeded GW 4-3 for their highest-ever finish in the A-10 Championship.

Junior Matt Hane, who won 12 matches in a row this season and earned the title of the Colonials’ Most Valuable Player, defeated the Hawks’ Francisco Velazquez 6-4, 6-1 at No. 1 singles.

“When I get out there, I just give it my all, and things have seemed to work out for me so far,” he said.

Matt Treadgold beat Hawk Jimmy Holand 6-2, 6-2 to take No. 2 singles points, but Saint Joseph’s took the fourth, fifth and sixth singles points, as well as the first and second doubles points for the win.

The Colonials reached Sunday’s fifth-place game with a sweep of ninth-seed Temple Saturday, while Saint Joe’s beat Dayton to advance.

GW dropped to the losers’ bracket after a 4-1 loss to Xavier Saturday after beating seventh-seeded La Salle earlier in the day.

Head Coach Tom Hawkins said his team was disheartened after the loss but that his players were prepared to give it their all in the final rounds.

“Our chances are not as good anymore, but I know ‘my boys’ will give it their best shot,” he said after the Xavier loss. “That’s all I can ask out of them after their extraordinary performance this season.”