Men’s tennis sweeps Maryland

The GW men’s tennis team swept its second match of the weekend, beating University of Maryland- Baltimore County 7-0 Saturday at Mount Vernon. Friday the Colonials swept Temple with five-straight set victories. The Colonial men’s record is now over .500 at 5-4.

Junior Matt Hane defeated UMBC’s Josef Novotny, the No. 8 player in the east region for the No. 1 singles point Saturday 6-2, 6-4. Sophomore Matt Treadgold and freshman Marius Weigert tacked on straight set victories for the Colonials at No. 2 and No. 4 singles, respectively, while freshman Jason Sucoll broke into the win column for the first time this season, taking a second set tiebreaker at No. 6 singles.

In doubles, teams of Hane and Weigert, Treadgold and sophomore Jake Jopling and senior Brett Warner and freshman Tim Rogers, all came away with strong victories to take the doubles point.

Against Temple Friday, Hane secured two victories by beating Tyler Wynne at No. 1 singles and teaming with Weigert to win at No. 1 doubles. Treadgold and Jopling also posted two wins for the team.

The Colonials will look to make it three in a row next Friday when they take on Howard at noon at the Montclair Tennis Club on the Mount Vernon Campus.

The GW women’s tennis weekend matches against Army and Connecticut were canceled due to poor travel conditions. The women will return to the courts next Friday, when they take on Howard at 4 p.m.