A-10 Tournament Scenarios

With Saturday’s loss at Xavier, the GW men’s basketball team is now 1.5 games behind La Salle for the fourth seed in the Atlantic 10 West, a seed GW needs in order to play at home in the first round of the A-10 Tournament next Monday.

The Colonials should not have much trouble in their final game, as they host last-place Fordham Saturday at the Smith Center. But in order to take the fourth seed, GW will have to win and La Salle will have to lose its last two games at Temple and at Richmond.

This would result in a tie for the fourth seed, which GW would win because it would have a better record within the A-10 West. If the Colonials can earn the fourth seed this way, they would host the fifth seed in the A-10 East, which will likely be Massachusetts but could also be Rhode Island or St. Bonaventure.

One development that could end the Colonials’ hopes for a first-round home game is the possible forfeiture of St. Bonaventure’s win over La Salle Jan. 18 due to an ineligible Bonnies player. The NCAA has not made any official decisions yet regarding the forfeit of games, but if La Salle is awarded a win for the Jan. 18 game, they would clinch the fourth seed.

If GW does not win the fourth seed, they would automatically earn the fifth seed and would likely play at St. Bonaventure or Rhode Island, with UMass in the mix.