Brown , Coppedge win A-10 awards

The GW soccer teams proved last weekend that the volleyball program might not be the only Colonials fall sports team destined for the postseason.

The men’s and woman’s soccer squads and volleyball team each won their two Atlantic10 matches over the weekend and have put GW atop or right near the top of the conference standings. Senior Tracee Brown of the volleyball team and junior Erin Coppedge of the women’s soccer team – two major reasons for their teams’ success – were honored with A-10 Player of the Week awards in their respective sports. Coppedge scored hat-tricks against Temple and St. Joseph’s. Coppedge recently moved to offense after playing defense in her first two seasons.

I never really thought I’d be Player of the Week, Coppedge said. I kind of feel guilty that I got the award because the ball went through ten players and I happened to be at the right place at the right time.

Brown was the first GW volleyball player to record at least 30 kills in a match since GW All-American Svetlana Vtyurina pounded 35 kills in 1995. Brown’s 75 kills and attack percentage of .508 in GW’s last three contests have made her one of the most feared outside hitters in the A-10. That’s one reason Brown said one individual goal she has is to win the A-10 Player of the Year award.

I can’t win (Player of the Week) without my teammates, Brown said. This is their award also. I’m just really proud and really excited for the season to continue.

GW’s Justin Evans from the men’s soccer team and Darrell Andruski of the cross country team added to the impressive weekend for GW sports as they won A-10 Rookie of the Week awards for their individual performances. Andruski placed 12th out of 126 runners at the GW Invitational, finishing just one minute behind the individual winner. Evans had an assist in both GW games for his first career points as a Colonial.