Colonials run over One World

GW men’s basketball coach Tom Penders promised to bring exciting, up-tempo play to the Smith Center this winter.

He delivered Wednesday night as the Colonials rolled to a 108-81 victory over One World Basketball in the team’s first exhibition game of the season, highlighted by a 64-point GW first half.

The game was an up-tempo contest throughout, which Penders said plays into his team’s hands.

“I’m delighted when teams want to run with us, because we can come right down their back and score again,” Penders said.

Sophomore Mike King led the offensive charge for GW with a game-high 28 points in 28 minutes of play. Senior Yegor Mescheriakov chipped in with 16 points, while backup point guard Roey Eyal hit four of his seven three-point attempts for 12 points.

One World stayed with GW for the first 10 minutes of the first half, as GW led just 30-27 at the half’s midway point. But GW started to pull away at about the 7:35 mark. Eyal hit a three-pointer from the top of the key, followed by a three by King from the baseline half a minute later. Freshman center Albert Roma then tapped in a basket on an offensive rebound to give GW a 38-27 lead at the 6:32 mark.

With the score 41-30, the Colonials went on a 23-3 run to close the half and take a 31-point lead at halftime.

Point guard Shawnta Rogers struggled with his shot, hitting just two of his 11 attempts and scoring eight points. But he was still the leader on the court both offensively and defensively. He had a game-high 15 assists and four steals. Rogers said he wasn’t bothered by his offensive performance.

“Two of 11, when we get the `W’ – it’s good to me,” Rogers said.

GW plays its second and final exhibition game at 7:30 p.m. Friday against Court Authority at home.