Baseball team splits games, Baginski honored

The GW baseball team split a pair of non-conference games this week as it lost to the University of Richmond Tuesday and won at James Madison University Wednesday.

The Colonials’ matched their win total from last season with their 12-5 win at James Madison. GW is 21-12 on the season and will play Dayton in a three-game series at Barcroft Park this weekend. The series opens with a doubleheader Saturday at noon.

In addition, the Atlantic 10 Conference named GW junior Tom Baginski the conference’s Pitcher of the Week Monday. Baginski allowed no runs on five hits in 12 and two-thirds innings of work last week.

GW 12, James Madison 5Five Colonials hit home runs as GW slugged its way to a 12-5 win over James Madison in Harrisonburg, Va. Wednesday.

Freshman Eric Mitchell, junior Joe Beichert, sophomore Ryan Dacey, senior Cassedy Smith and junior Chris Matarese all homered for the Colonials.

Mitchell’s three-run home run in the second inning gave GW a 4-0 lead. Beichert hit a two-run homer – his team-leading 12th of the season – an inning later to increase the Colonial lead to 6-1.

Sophomore righthander Ron Christie (2-3) got the win. He pitched five innings and allowed three runs on 10 hits.

Richmond 9, GW 2Richmond used a five-run fourth inning to defeat the Colonials 9-2 Tuesday at Barcroft Park.

GW pitchers limited the Spiders to six hits, but they walked 11 batters, including seven by Chad Dewey in his three and one-third innings.

GW’s defense committed four errors behind starter Bryan Beggs, allowing four unearned runs to score. Beggs (0-2), who took the loss, pitched four and two-thirds innings. He gave up eight runs, four earned, on four hits and walked four batters.