Three alumni join Board of Trustees
By Hannah Marr, News Editor • June 21, 2024

Three alumni join Board of Trustees

Arwen Clemans | Staff Photographer
University President Ellen Granberg addresses the Board of Trustees during a meeting this May.

The Board of Trustees elected three alumni to GW’s top governing body earlier this month, according to a University release Sunday.

Alumni Richard Jones, Jennifer Park Stout and Camila Tapias joined the Board on June 1, replacing former trustees Mollie Bowman, Roslyn Brock, Michael Hoffman, Madeleine Jacobs and Reid Liffmann who completed their terms on May 31, according to the release. The election bumps the governing body down to 19 trustees from 21, reflecting the University’s decadelong commitment to maintaining a small Board after officials downsized the Board by 20 members between 2013 and 2018.

Jones, who received his juris doctor degree in corporate and international law from GW in 1984, currently serves as the executive vice president, general counsel and ethics officer at the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta. Jones also formerly served as president of the GW Alumni Association from 2019 to 2021.

Stout, who received her masters degree in international affairs from GW in 2006, works as the vice president of global public policy and head of the District office of Snap Inc., the company that developed Snapchat, per the release.

Tapias, who received her bachelor’s degree in organizational sciences in 2018 from GW and then her master’s degree in public administration in 2020, was elected by officials to serve as the recent Trustee. Tapias works as a global disaster resilience specialist at SPIN Global, and formerly served as the captain of GW’s women’s basketball team, which she played on between 2014 and 2018, per the release.

Trustees are elected by Board members to one four-year term that can be renewed for a second, per the Board’s bylaws. Board members do not receive paid compensation, according to public tax records.

Trustees provide counsel on the University’s top decisions, including the decision to arm some GW Police Department officers, the election of University President Ellen Granberg and the decision to retire the Colonials moniker.