Board soliciting applications for recent alumni trustee

The appointee will serve from June 1, 2024 to May 31, 2028.
Auden Yurman | Senior Photo Editor

The Board of Trustees is searching for a recent graduate to join the ranks of its body.

Board Chair Grace Speights and Alumni Association President Maxwell Gocala-Nguyen sent an email to alumni soliciting applications for a Recent Alumni Trustee position, who will serve from 2024 to 2028. Alumni who graduated with a bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate degree within the past five and a half years relative to the start of the term are eligible to apply.

“Candidates must be of the highest integrity and demonstrate a strong commitment to the University,” the email states.

The term will begin June 1, 2024 and end May 31, 2028. Board members do not receive paid compensation, according to public tax records.

Trustees Mollie Bowman and Luis Otero are hosting three virtual information sections in September to share their experience as former recent alumni trustees, according to the application.

“We seek a diverse pool of candidates to recommend for service,” the email states. “Persons shall be qualified to serve as a trustee without limitation to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.”

Applicants must complete six application questions, including why they want to be on the Board, what qualities they bring to the position and the nature of their involvement with GW post-graduation.

The application also asks candidates to outline their prior governance experience in other organizations, list their top three priorities for the Board to address in the coming years and disclose any past experiences that could be perceived as “an embarrassment or controversial” to the University.

Applicants must also submit a cover letter and three letters of recommendation for officials to consider their candidacy, according to the application. The application deadline is Friday, Oct. 13, 2023.

The Board oversees the operations and overarching strategy of the University, like approving GW’s yearly budget. Recently, trustees selected Ellen Granberg as the next University President, retired the Colonials moniker, approved shared governance principles between faculty and the administration and decided to arm the GW Police Department.