Officials install taller, stronger faregates in Foggy Bottom Station

Kaiden Yu | Staff Photographer
New fairgates, now with additional protective glass, aim to prevent fair evasion inside of the Foggy Bottom-GWU Metro station.

Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority officials installed faregates aimed at deterring fare evasion at the Foggy Bottom-GWU Metro station late last month.

A WMATA spokesperson said officials installed faregates at the Foggy Bottom Station about two weeks ago that are 55 inches taller than the old faregates at Metro stations and twice as strong. They said the installation is part of a systemwide faregate upgrade effort to minimize fare evasion, which costs officials $40 million annually.

Officials began installing the new faregate model in July. Last month, officials also began fining and arresting fare evaders at Metro stations.

The spokesperson said officials have upgraded faregates at about 33 of 98 stations in the Metro system as of Friday. They said there has been an almost 80 percent reduction in fare evasion at the stations with upgraded faregates.

This year, Foggy Bottom Station, which is the most popular station in the Metro system, has seen an average of about 681 daily unpaid entries and 11,715 daily paid entries, according to Metro data.