Foggy Bottom now most popular station in Metro system

Commuter’s pass through the Foggy Bottom Metro entrance.

Foggy Bottom-GWU Metro station jumped to the most popular station in the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority system.

Foggy Bottom Station has received 11,753 average daily entries between Aug. 11 and Oct. 25, 728 more than Metro Center’s average daily entries and Union Station’s 546 average daily entries, according to WMATA data. Since 2021, Metro Center has been the most popular station in the WMATA system with 7,245 average daily entries, while Union Station’s 7,045 and Foggy Bottom’s 6,962 average daily entries have trailed behind it.

The WMATA system has seen 286,942 average daily entries this year, according to WMATA data. Ridership across the system has steadily risen since 2020, when it dropped to a 13-year low of 144,104 average daily entries, largely due to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.

While the Foggy Bottom station has the most average daily entries, Union Station has the most average entries during morning peak hours from opening to 9:30 a.m. at 3,017 average entries. Metro Center has the most entries during afternoon peak hours, from 3 to 7 p.m., at 5,657 average entries.

WMATA officials in September announced increased service on five out of the six Metro lines, including two out of the three lines that run through Foggy Bottom station. Officials have increased service 11 times since summer 2022.