Best vegan brunch: PLANTA Queen

Grace Miller | Staff Photographer

Location: 1200 New Hampshire Ave. NW

Readers’ pick: PLANTA Queen

All hail her majesty of brunch, PLANTA Queen

The fully vegan, Asian-inspired eatery in West End reimagines plant-based dining through fresh ingredients like ahi watermelon, fried mushrooms, tempura broccoli and tofu to mimic nonvegan alternatives.

The atmosphere during brunch is electric — with staff who are equally as excited about the food as the customers. PLANTA Queen’s warm and ambient lighting makes for a cozy dining experience, as the red and black decor tones, neon dragons scaling the wall and vibrant bar serve as the ideal backdrop for a quick photoshoot while waiting for your food.

The restaurant’s brunch menu is expansive and hearty enough to satisfy vegans and nonvegans alike. Signature brunch items include a mix of sweet and savory — from my favorite, the French toast with cornflake granola and berry compote ($16.95) to the sushi burrito with chick’n fried mushrooms and ahi watermelon ($18.75). 

Finding a delicious, berry-covered vegan French toast was a game changer for me, as French toast was my favorite sweet brunch item before I went vegan. PLANTA’s take on the brunch classic packs extra flavor into each bite with its denser bread while maintaining that classic French toast flavor.

The scallion pancake egg wrap with kimchi and hoisin ($19.50) was a concept I’d never considered but has become a go-to option for me on the PLANTA menu. The crisp outer shell of the flatbread combines with a sprinkle of chives to create the ideal sour bite.

If none of these alternative brunch items interest you, many of PLANTA’s dinner plates are available around the clock, including the star of the menu: the sushi. Refreshing and innovative, the sushi is an unconventional addition to brunch. The Spicy Tuna Roll ($15.75) and Crispy Rice ($15.75) were the standouts for me, though you can’t go wrong with any choice. 

If you are dining with a group and can’t decide what to get, PLANTA has a plethora of shareable plates, so everyone can order something different and try a variety of menu offerings. Options like the “Bang Bang Broccoli” ($14.50), “Scallion Pancake” ($11.25) and the “1,000 Layer Crispy Potatoes” ($14.25) can easily spice up your brunch. 

To pair with the food, PLANTA also boasts a variety of signature brunch drinks, including specialty options like the “Changa Chai’ccino” ($6.50), “Vietnamese Iced Coffee” ($6.50) and the “Salted Maple Macchiato” ($6.50). If you’re a black coffee drinker like me, don’t fear, they also have the basics.

If you want to make your vegan brunch boozy, PLANTA Queen offers $25 endless brunch cocktails on weekends until 4 p.m. These cocktails include the “Spicy Bloody Caesar,” “Passionfruit Ginger Mimosa” and a seasonal sake sangria ($15). 

Despite the high prices, PLANTA Queen has always been a worthwhile trip. The quality and care that goes into making the food along with the service, ambient environment and belief that the “power of plants can change the world,” make PLANTA an unmissable brunch experience.