Best spot to smoke on campus: Square 80 alcove

Kaiden Yu | Staff Photographer
A student smokes while soaking in the seclusion of the Square 80 alcove.

Location: 2110 G St. NW

An Ngo | Graphics Editor

Readers’ pick: Square 80 alcove

GW’s grounds are home to numerous roofs and outdoor spaces with secluded swinging benches — while we’re not saying that these are good smoke spots, if they were, the alcove in Square 80 would be the best.

Tucked between 2109 F Street and Guthridge halls, a path from Square 80 paves the way to a small courtyard with a table and chairs. The alcove is pushed back far enough from Square 80’s main drag to conceal it from passersby, but smokers can still people-watch from the spot’s vantage point, especially on a warm day when students are enjoying the green space.

The alcove’s low profile is just the first in its list of perks. The walls on three sides of the alcove block the wind — no more fighting to light your green and keep it burning.

Stoners may want to keep sunglasses nearby to disguise their bloodshot eyes, but you won’t squint in the sun during a morning sesh in the alcove. The tall Guthridge walls also block the sun for the majority of the day. 

Flower beds and a small rock garden line the pathway to the alcove, evoking a calm and down-to-earth energy. If students are craving excitement, they can look up to a particular pair of opposing windows in 2109 F Street and Guthridge halls, where a pair of students have hung dueling MAGA and pride flags out of neighboring windows. For the wandering minds of any stoner, conflict is the ideal daydreaming fuel.

The alcove doesn’t see much foot traffic due to its secluded nature, but it’s not a dead end. It features a rarely used footpath to F Street. Sometimes landscapers, maintenance workers or students emerging from the building’s basement pass through, but no one intends to ruin the tranquil vibes.

As a beloved campus smoke spot, it’s common to see familiar faces while sparking up at the nook. The alcove has plenty of chairs to welcome any other sesh attendees — who knows, maybe you’ll even sneak a sighting of Sean Penn’s famous stoner character from “Fast Times at Ridgemont High.”

All things considered, GW’s campus has plenty of great potential smoke spots, from the benches in Kogan, to behind West Hall on the Vern. But the little alcove in Square 80 has it all. From privacy to peacefulness, the sesh venue rightfully earns its title as the best not-exactly-allowed smoke spot in the Northwest.