Best out-of-the-box coffee: Elle’s ‘Hibiscus Cinnamon Fizz’

Diana Anos | Staff Photographer
Elle’s coffee creation, the “Hibiscus Cinnamon Fizz”

Location: 3221 Mt. Pleasant St. NW

Readers’ pick: Colada Shop’s “Churro Cafe Con Leche”

An Ngo | Graphics Editor

An iced vanilla latte is a classic way to get a dose of caffeine with a hint of sweetness, but as a predictable menu option at every cafe, the drink can get a bit boring.

But such dullness is nowhere to be found at Elle, a homey, wood-paneled cafe and restaurant in Mount Pleasant. The coffee bar serves up pastries, breakfast and lunch during the day and offers a dinner and drink menu in the evening.

Brimming with plants and rustic decorations, the restaurant immediately welcomes diners into its cozy atmosphere. The cafe has a distinctly hip vibe, with young patrons packed into the gold and white seats bopping along to Ethel Cain and Kate Bollinger while enjoying their meals.

The cafe’s signature “hibiscus cinnamon fizz” ($6.50) combines espresso with tonic water and grapefruit juice. Other unconventional options include the “cardamom rose latte” ($6.50) with honey, cardamom and rose water and the “espresso tonic” ($6.50) with two shots of espresso, tonic water and a lemon twist. 

I settled on the “hibiscus cinnamon fizz” because of its bizarre but intriguing blend of flavors. The waiter approached me with the drink, calling it “the fizz thing,” and placing the brown and red gradient drink on the table. Served in a small glass with plenty of crunchy ice, I mixed the drink with my straw, creating a burgundy color.

The espresso was rich, strong and bitter, contrasting the sweet, tart, fruity concoction of grapefruit and hibiscus. With the addition of the tonic, the drink took on a fizzy, soda quality.

Although it was an unusual combination of ingredients for me, the chocolate hints of the espresso mixed with the fruity flavors created a familiar and enjoyable brew. Since I’m used to consuming espresso in a latte form, the in-your-face caffeinated presence was something fresh but enjoyable.

Paired with the “sourdough plate” ($9) with two pieces of grilled sourdough, cultured butter, house pickles and whey caramel, the combination of sweet and salty tastes with a fizz-filled buzz made for a delectable breakfast.

While the promise of warmer weather might seem like a pipe dream amidst an onslaught of rain and gloom, seasonal fruit flavors and chilled espresso make Elle’s “hibiscus cinnamon fizz” an option off the beaten path to embrace spring — warm weather or not.