Best on-the-go lunch: Jetties’ Dreamland

Jennifer Igbonoba | Staff Photographer
Jetties’ hot Dreamland sandwich, layering roasted turkey, melted brie, arugula and fig spread on multigrain bread.

Location: 1921 I St. NW

Readers’ pick: GW Deli’s bacon, egg and cheese

There’s nothing worse than sitting through back-to-back-to-back classes and meetings as your stomach growls in protest.

Though there are plenty of mediocre quick meals on campus, if you venture a mere 15-minute walk from either the Mount Vernon or Foggy Bottom campuses, you’ll be rewarded with a filling, New England-style lunch at Jetties.

The beachy atmosphere and colorful murals of the Foggy Bottom store provides a warm getaway from this year’s unseasonably cold weather. One large mural features beachgoers building sand castles, laying in the sun and many-a-beach umbrella — one with a GW logo. A blue banner with thin yellow wording made to look like a rustic beach sign that reads “Jetties Caters” can be spotted in the large mural and below the menu.

I arrived at 11 a.m. on a Friday, the crack of dawn for students who don’t have classes that day, and it was only me, the workers and delivery drivers picking up orders. I ordered a hot dreamland sandwich ($13.95), a simple yet robust sandwich containing roasted turkey, melted brie, arugula and fig spread on multigrain bread.

The turkey is prominent compared to the other ingredients, which at first glance may cause people to think it’s dry, but the fig spread on the bread and melted brie helps create a rich, juicy flavor. Unlike the overly preserved deli meats Carvings foists on its sandwich, this simple delicacy does not go overboard with the saltiness. 

Customers can order on tablets on the right side when they enter the store or upfront at the cash register. A sign inside the store notifies customers beforehand that hot sandwiches take about 10 to 15 minutes to prepare. 

If you need a sweet treat to get you through the rest of your busy day, they offer massive chocolate chip cookies the size of your head and brownies that melt in your mouth. I had a brownie the size of my palm, and it was as soft as biting into a chocolate marshmallow.

The next time you’re in need of a quick, satisfying meal, head to Jetties.