Best meal deal: Sushi Do’s Chicken Teriyaki Bowl

Daniel Hueur | Staff Photographer
Sushi Do’s chicken teriyaki bowl sits on a table outside Shenkman Hall.

Location: 616 23rd St. NW

Readers’ pick: Halal Shack’s “Rice Bowl”

An Ngo | Graphics Editor

The best meal deals thrive at the intersection of convenience and quality, and Sushi Do’s “Chicken Teriyaki Bowl” not only meets but excels at both requirements.

The bowl, which features the standard teriyaki chicken, cucumber, white rice and a choice of spicy mayo, teriyaki or mixed sauces and a canned beverage of choice, is one of the East Asian concept’s premier offerings. The vendor, located on the ground floor of Shenkman Hall, lets students fill their stomachs with ramen, sushi and Bento boxes while avoiding the chaos of a dining hall.

Many don’t go to GW dining vendors with high expectations, given their less-than-stellar reputation on campus. But the “Chicken Teriyaki Bowl” nails the mix of tangy, sweet and savory flavors you’d expect from a bowl from an off-campus restaurant.

While the ingredients aren’t necessarily innovative, composed of what you’d find at any Asian-inspired bowl joint, the simplicity works to the meal’s advantage. Everything within the bowl is expected, so the offering appeals to lifelong fans of teriyaki and bowl newcomers looking for a new lunch spot.

Sushi Do’s location is ideal, especially for students living in Shenkman, gym bros looking for a post-workout meal and Vernies seeking an easy-to-transport option before hopping on the Vex. As peak meal hours often see Shenkman dining hall lines reach the doors of the building, Sushi Do stands as a quick and straightforward alternative for those with busier schedules.

The deal is among the most valuable within GW’s meal swipe program, as other options tend to be lighter on the quantity of food. The bowl contains just the right amount of food to either be eaten in one sitting or saved for a later meal depending on your mood, a necessary option as GWorld balances dwindle toward the end of the school year.

Not every meal swipe option is a home run, but Sushi Do’s “Chicken Teriyaki Bowl” provides the value, quality and convenience you’d want from a top-tier deal. If you’re up for enduring the perilous crossing of 23rd street as consultants drive by to their fancy lunches, one of the hidden gems of GW’s dining gallery rogues awaits.