GW alum appointed as Palestinian Authority prime minister

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas appointed a GW alum to be the next prime minister last week.

On Friday, Abbas appointed his longtime economic adviser Mohammad Mustafa, who earned a master’s degree from GW in 1985 and a doctorate in business administration and economics. Mustafa taught at GW as a visiting professor after receiving his degrees.

Mustafa previously worked as a senior official at the World Bank and as deputy prime minister and minister of economy for the State of Palestine.

Mustafa, who has served as Abbas’ senior economic adviser since 2005, is expected to act as a loyalist to the president. Nearly 90 percent of Palestinians opposed Abbas in a December wartime survey.

In January, the United States pressed Abbas to reform the Palestinian Authority, which it wants to oversee the Gaza Strip when the Israel-Hamas war ends.

“The United States will be looking for this new government to deliver on policies and implementation of credible and far-reaching reforms,” National Security Council spokesperson Adrienne Watson told the Associated Press. “A reformed Palestinian Authority is essential to delivering results for the Palestinian people and establishing the conditions for stability in both the West Bank and Gaza.”