Undergraduate tuition rises 4.2 percent for second consecutive year

File Photo by Jordan Yee | Staff Photographer
University Yard in 2022.

Undergraduate tuition will rise to $67,420 next academic year, according to a University release Monday.

The increase from $64,700 this academic year will mark the second year in a row that officials raised tuition by 4.2 percent and the third consecutive year that GW’s overall cost of attendance exceeded $80,000. The release states that GW will continue to invest in Open Doors, the University’s fundraising initiative for scholarships and financial aid, to make GW a “realistic option” for students.

The release states that students who entered the University in spring 2020 and maintained continuous enrollment will still pay the $56,845 fixed-tuition rate of their entering class year as the last cohort of fixed-tuition students. Officials announced the end of the fixed-tuition policy in 2019, beginning with the class of 2024, to grant administrators more flexibility to meet revenue needs.

The policy’s end triggered yearly tuition increases for undergraduate students, which began at 2.1 percent between the 2020-21 and 2021-22 academic years and have fluctuated since the pandemic when the University mitigated financial pressures due to inflation and declining enrollment. In 2022, officials said about a third of students received federal loans the year prior.

“Financial assistance in the form of scholarships and need-based aid can change the lives of talented students and their families by providing access to higher education,” the release states.

The release states that mandatory fees will remain $290 next academic year, which include a $3 per credit hour fee toward the Student Government Association and a $100 U-Pass fee.

Officials will increase the base rate for dining and housing by $620, raising the price from $16,300 this academic year to $16,920 next year. The rise accounts for a $320 increase in base dining and a $300 uptick in base housing.