The Hatchet elects Chinowsky as 2024-25 editor in chief

Sage Russell | Assistant Photo Editor

The Hatchet’s staff elected junior Grace Chinowsky as the paper’s next editor in chief Saturday afternoon. 

Chinowsky, a journalism and mass communication major from Seattle, Washington, will lead The Hatchet’s 121st volume, which begins in May. 

Chinowsky’s goals for the next volume include improving diversity and inclusion, better integrating multimedia in The Hatchet’s content strategies and strengthening ties between Hatchet staff and alumni.

As senior news editor for Volume 120, Chinowsky led coverage of campus unrest after the outbreak of the Israel-Hamas war, the arrival of University President Ellen Granberg and GW’s completed switch to a dining hall model. In Volume 119, Chinowsky served as an assistant news editor for the Metro beat, breaking stories on the arming of GW Police Department officers, a local government official’s criminal history and how GW lagged in compliance with the District’s period product access laws.

Outside the walls of The Hatchet townhouse, Chinowsky has written feature stories for Real Change, a Seattle street paper serving the unhoused community. Chinowsky, who is also earning a minor in political science, will intern for MSNBC’s “Andrea Mitchell Reports” in New York City this summer.

When not polishing Hatchet articles, Chinowsky enjoys listening to music, grabbing coffee with friends and exploring the outdoors.

Chinowsky will also become the president of Hatchet Publications, Inc., pending approval by The Hatchet’s Board of Directors.

The Hatchet is an editorially and financially independent student newspaper that has served the GW and Foggy Bottom community since 1904. It is the second-oldest D.C. newspaper after the Washington Post.